Subject: Re: msdosfs-changes
To: None <waldi@moacs.indiv.nl.net>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 01/23/1996 08:57:00
Hi Waldi,

> > Up until now, the atari kernel treated the msdosfs like it was a gemdos
> > made filesystem automatically. The msdosfs kernel code contained a bunch
> > of '#ifdef atari' statements to accomplish this. As this was:
> > 	1) 'Could be done better' programming
> > 	2) Did not permit you to use the 'real' msdosfs
>
> Actually, it did. Only the other way around (use gemdosfs on an i386)
> was not possible.
That the previous code did not allow the use of a gemdosfs on an i386 should
have been #3 ;-)
The previous code did indeed allow you to mount a 'real' msdosfs file system
in nearly all cases. I was however thinking about the vnd-case. I am not
100% convinced that the detection of the fat-size will work in _all_ cases.
Now that the special gemdos handling functionality can be turned on/off from
the user-level, I think we're just a bit more on the save side ;-)

 [ For people not familiar with vnd-devices: A vnd-device allows you to
   treat a file as a raw-device. So what you can do is dd a floppy image
   to a file, attach the vnd-device to the file and mount it. Take a look
   at the manual page for vnconfig ]

Leo.