Subject: Re: ttyflags: TIOCSFLAGS on /dev/mdm02: Device not configured
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Waldi Ravens <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 12/01/1995 14:33:22
> I didn't have any pressing problem with "disklabel -e"; I just noted
> `disklabel's funny behaviour when I played with it after booting the
> new kernel. You said that `disklabel' will have to be fixed at some
> point in the future, and I agree. :)
That may take quite some time. :-( For those who don't want to wait
that long, a short recepy:
1) never change the bytes/sector field.
2) choose a proper sectors/cylinder value, I suggest 1024, 512 or 256.
(note that bsd-ffs can't use part of a cylinder, only complete cyls).
3) based on sec/cyl, set tracks/cyl and sectors/track, for example
512 sec/cyl => 8 tracks/cyl and 64 sectors/track.
4) determine the number of cylinders: (size of c partition)/(secpercyl)
if the remainder is not equal to zero, add one to the result.
5) when splitting AHDI partitions, try to use sizes which are a multiple
of the secpercyl value, and make sure it can be split in an integer
number of cylinder groups (see newfs(8) option -c).
6) changing partition c is generally not a good idea.
7) the bsize, fsize and cpg fields are set by newfs(8), but it's usually
a good idea to determine those values, when creating the partitions.