Subject: Re: Ain't no stopping us now...
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Waldi Ravens <waldi@moacs.indiv.nl.net>
List: port-atari
Date: 11/30/1995 03:54:40
Hi Leo,

> > Did anyone notice that the floppy drive motor is
> > never turned off?  Kinda weird feature. :-)
> When NetBSD is up and running the motor should stop spinning after
> about 5 sec. idle time - at least it did when I last tested it....

Nope, it doesn't. It stops a few seconds after the floppy drive has
been accessed for the first time (eg mounting an fs, or installing
a new bootstrap ;-) ).

I didn't examine any further, but I guess, the problem is that the
controller is only initialised on the first open (Fdopen() in fd.c)?

> It might be that the motor doesn't stop spinning when it was on when the
> system was rebooted. This is a bug indeed.

No difference between (auto-)boot from floppy or harddisk, and also
the same thing when booting NetBSD under TOS/MagiC (from harddisk of
course).

Waldi