Subject: Re: hanging rlogin
To: Helmar Goettsch <goettsch@sunbayer32.informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
From: Helmar Goettsch <goettsch@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 11/28/1995 22:08:17

> Hello,
(Hello to myself ;-)
> '
> ' > > 	3) pppd: rlogin (or 'rsh <host>') hung
. . .
> ' > I'm currently connected with rlogin. Seems to be allright. As you said
> ' > that the same problem occured with MiNT, isn't there a problem at the
> ' > remote site?
> ' > Leo.
> '
> ' I can confirm this Problem. My PPP connection goes over 2 rlogin
. . .
> ' Is it due to my delayed PPP connection (via 2 other hosts)?
> Oh I would think so. ALSO on my site the ppp-connection is established so:
> I (chat) dial in a central modem-host of our department, which asked
> the account and the account-host. After prompting for a special modem-
> password (security is high on our RBG :-) it issues the command
> 	rlogin -8 -l <account> <account-host>
> After logging in at my account-host (on which I'm superuser :-) I send
> 	/usr/local/etc/pppd proxyarp :<free-hostname> passive
> (Then I got the Connect-msg and the two IP adresses)
>
> Btw: this is not the official way to connect to our department (but the
> only one from which I got a IP adress, which is official, i.e. can be
> routed to the whole world!)
> The official way is to dial and connect to a ppp-host.
> I will try this tonight and test the rlogin behavior there.
Aaah, I think we're on the right track !
My current ppp-connection is (only) via our official ppp-host
(i.e. dialin-host and ppp-host is the same) and
I'm currently logged in with 'rlogin <myhost>' (only ONE rlogin)
and it works fine (else I can't write this ;-) !
Both methods (rlogin with password-input or direct rlogin with .rhost-right)
works without problems.

But as I preferd the other way to make my ppp connection (routing in the world
possible, see above) what can we do to solve the bug ?
Does it make sense to start one or both pppd in debug-mode and mail the
output ?
HEG
          ___   __   Helmar Goettsch (Admin HEG: Lehrstuhl III, Informatik)
  /   /  /     /  '  Orleansstr. 34, D-81667 Muenchen     Room: O109, ZI
 /---/--/-----/--+   Phone:  +49-89-48095-190	privat: +49-89-367279
/   /  /___  /__/    email: goettsch@informatik.tu-muenchen.de