Subject: Re: Bug Report 1 / hanging rlogin
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Kilbinger <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 11/28/1995 00:40:45
> > 	3) pppd: rlogin (or 'rsh <host>') hung
> > After connecting with pppd (works fine, see my last mail) the rlogin-cmd
> > a) hung after the passwd prompt
> > b) hung after succesfully logged in without password typing (.rhosts-entry)
> > In both cases it does not react nor echoes typed chars. The modem LEDs
> > Send/Rcv blink 'less' i.e. not so as on normal (echoed) input.
> > The only way to go on, is to kill the rlogin process from the other
> > terminal. Only with telnet I'm yet able to login. But command
> > 'rsh <host> <remote-cmd>' (with .rhosts rights on remote host) works fine.
> > Interesting is, that the same bug appear with rlogin/ppp on Mint-KGMD.
> > How can I resolv it ?
> I'm currently connected with rlogin. Seems to be allright. As you said
> that the same problem occured with MiNT, isn't there a problem at the
> remote site?
>
> Leo.

I can confirm this Problem. My PPP connection goes over 2 rlogin
connected hosts. Telnet access takes some seconds to display the
expected prompts. rlogin will preset the `password: ' prompt, but
afterwards there will be a hung or at least a long peroid (some
minutes) of time of no reaction. Other TCP/IP services (X progs, mail,
ftp etc.) never showed this problem.

Is it due to my delayed PPP connection (via 2 other hosts)?

Markus