Subject: Re: Bug Report 1
To: Helmar Goettsch <goettsch@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 11/27/1995 22:17:33
Hi Helmar,

> Although I praised NetBSD_1.1/atari overall in my last mail
> I found some bugs (what else :-) :
>
> 	1) install script 'Extract()'
> There is still the bug in the 'Extract()' function
> 	'... | (cd /; tar ...)
> wrong !         ^^^^^	must be
> 	'... | (cd /mnt; tar ...)
> because '/' is the ram-fs but on '/mnt' is the root-partition mounted.
> IMHO with this bug only a expieriencend UNIX-sysadmin is  able to
> find and correct this bug and install the binary-sets per hand.
This was indeed a nasty bug! I did a last-minute fix on it about a week
before 1.1 was to be released.
> Especially in this nasty situation that the binary-distribution-set
> filenames (e.g. base11.tar.gz) do neither agree with that in the
> INSTALL-manual (base11.??) nor with that in the script (base11.???).
> This brings not a good impression at the beginning, when already
> the installation according to the manual and the script fails.
> Sorry Leo :-(  ;-)
Never mind. The problem is that there is a difference between the 'official'
distribution and the '-current' snapshots. The 'official' release contains
the files like I mentioned them in the INSTALL doc, all tar-balls are splitted
into 720Kb chunks. The '-current' snapshots is what you've seen until now.
I only supply the tarballs (that's why there is a question about it in the
installation script). The bug/inconvinience  you mentioned is only in the
installation of the '-current' sets. It should be solved though.

> 	2) install script  'Configure()'
> 'Making device names ...' longs for a long time (about 15min. on my
> falcon) and nothing happens on the disk or screen.
> Therefore a message like "longs about 10..15 minutes" would be good
> that a nervous user don't think the computer hung and reset it. (I did
> it almost :-)
Maybe I should build in a 'rotor'...

> 	3) pppd: rlogin (or 'rsh <host>') hung
> After connecting with pppd (works fine, see my last mail) the rlogin-cmd
> a) hung after the passwd prompt
> b) hung after succesfully logged in without password typing (.rhosts-entry)
> In both cases it does not react nor echoes typed chars. The modem LEDs
> Send/Rcv blink 'less' i.e. not so as on normal (echoed) input.
> The only way to go on, is to kill the rlogin process from the other
> terminal. Only with telnet I'm yet able to login. But command
> 'rsh <host> <remote-cmd>' (with .rhosts rights on remote host) works fine.
> Interesting is, that the same bug appear with rlogin/ppp on Mint-KGMD.
> How can I resolv it ?
Sorry, I forgot to try :-( I can't do it right now because this breaks
my connection.....

> Some less important bugs (for completeness):
>
> 	3) Manual pages only readable under root
> 	   because:  Link  /usr/man -> share/man  missing
I don't get this.... I don't have the link you mention, but I am able
to read the man-pages without being root. /etc/man.conf specifies
/usr/share/man as a valid manpath. Could you take a closer look at
what is going wrong?

> 	4) ite1: after logout getty-prompt on HOME (top) of screen
> 		 but does not clear screen
> 	Workaround: create a .logout-file with cmd 'clear' in it
Yes, it's a nuisance I know. Didn't have time to give it a look.

Leo.