Subject: Bug Report 1
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Helmar Goettsch <goettsch@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 11/26/1995 23:04:24
Hi all
Although I praised NetBSD_1.1/atari overall in my last mail
I found some bugs (what else :-) :

	1) install script 'Extract()'
There is still the bug in the 'Extract()' function
	'... | (cd /; tar ...)
wrong !         ^^^^^	must be
	'... | (cd /mnt; tar ...)
because '/' is the ram-fs but on '/mnt' is the root-partition mounted.
IMHO with this bug only a expieriencend UNIX-sysadmin is  able to
find and correct this bug and install the binary-sets per hand.
Especially in this nasty situation that the binary-distribution-set
filenames (e.g. base11.tar.gz) do neither agree with that in the
INSTALL-manual (base11.??) nor with that in the script (base11.???).
This brings not a good impression at the beginning, when already
the installation according to the manual and the script fails.
Sorry Leo :-(  ;-)

	2) install script  'Configure()'
'Making device names ...' longs for a long time (about 15min. on my
falcon) and nothing happens on the disk or screen.
Therefore a message like "longs about 10..15 minutes" would be good
that a nervous user don't think the computer hung and reset it. (I did
it almost :-)

	3) pppd: rlogin (or 'rsh <host>') hung
After connecting with pppd (works fine, see my last mail) the rlogin-cmd
a) hung after the passwd prompt
b) hung after succesfully logged in without password typing (.rhosts-entry)
In both cases it does not react nor echoes typed chars. The modem LEDs
Send/Rcv blink 'less' i.e. not so as on normal (echoed) input.
The only way to go on, is to kill the rlogin process from the other
terminal. Only with telnet I'm yet able to login. But command
'rsh <host> <remote-cmd>' (with .rhosts rights on remote host) works fine.
Interesting is, that the same bug appear with rlogin/ppp on Mint-KGMD.
How can I resolv it ?

Some less important bugs (for completeness):

	3) Manual pages only readable under root
	   because:  Link  /usr/man -> share/man  missing

	4) ite1: after logout getty-prompt on HOME (top) of screen
		 but does not clear screen
	Workaround: create a .logout-file with cmd 'clear' in it

That's enough now ;-)
HEG
          ___   __   Helmar Goettsch (Admin HEG: Lehrstuhl III, Informatik)
  /   /  /     /  '  Orleansstr. 34, D-81667 Muenchen     Room: O109, ZI
 /---/--/-----/--+   Phone:  +49-89-48095-190	privat: +49-89-367279
/   /  /___  /__/    email: goettsch@informatik.tu-muenchen.de