Subject: Re: FAQ - a _very_ small start
To: Helmar Goettsch <goettsch@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 11/26/1995 22:31:56
Hi Helmar,

> Hi Leo and all,
> To your first FAQ:
> Sorry for my delayed answer, but I read the mails in 'port-atari' in
> the news-group 'muc.lists.netbsd.port.atari' . Yesterday I subscibed (again)
> to port-atari, so I can reply by email directly.
> >>
> The value of <new_size> should be given in bytes and depends on the
> following:
>     video-resolution:
>          ST-mode:  32Kb + 8Kb slack
>          TT-mode: 154Kb + 8Kb slack
>          Falcon modes:
> ----> could someone fill me in on these!!!!!
> Hmm I try it (NO WARRANTY ;-)
> 	Falcon modes:
> 	- native (std)
> 	640x480x2	=  38400 Byte	monochrom
> 	640x480x16	= 153600 Byte	*
> 	640x480x256	= 307200 Byte	*
> 	320x240x65535	= 153600 byte 	* TrueColor
> 	- higher resolutions with extension cards
> 	  I have BlowUP, which is able to install any resolution
> 	  you want and your monitor support (Multisync!)
> 	  I have :
> 	896x608x2	=  68096 Byte	monochrom
> 	896x608x16	= 272384 Byte	*
> 	864x608x256	= 525312 Byte	*
> 	1024x768x2	= 196698 Byte	monochrom
> 	1024x768x16	= 786432 Byte	*
> * = (not supported by NetBSD ?)
I guess Thomas is the right person to answer that. I recall some things
could not be done because of the lack of documentation on the card. I guess
some modes don't work because there is not enough st_memory allocated in the
default kernel.
> The whole video-ram resides in normal (ST-)RAM, therefore you have the many
> abilities of resolutions. I computes the number of bytes easily with
> multiplying width x height x number of bits (depth)
I think this is indeed correct. I'll add this to the FAQ.

> Therefore what are now my <new_size> on
> 	a)  896x608x2 with two (add.) virtual consoles and two SCSI-devices ?
> 	    68KB x 2 + 8KB (???) + 16KB x 2 + 18KB	right ?
> 	b)  1024x768x2 with two (add.) virtual consoles and two SCSI-devices ?
> 	    196KB x 2 + 8KB (???) + 16KB x 2 + 18KB	right ?
The slack should be multiplied by the number of virtual consoles. It is there
because the planes should be aligned on a page (8Kb) boundary to supply
mmap-calls. This means that you should add 8Kb to the above results.

Leo.