Subject: Re: New kernel on NetBSD.ORG
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Waldi Ravens <waldi@moacs.indiv.nl.net>
List: port-atari
Date: 11/21/1995 16:30:32
Hi Michael,

> > Everybody with disklabel problems, _please_ try it out and let me
> > know if it works; for good or bad.
>
> I tried the new kernel this morning, and it recognizes my broken
> labels alright; I was also able to mount partitions from the disk in
> question.  ("disklabel -e sd0" said something about partitions
> exceeding beyond end of disk, but I sort of expected that after
> Waldi's analysis of by `aptck' output.)

I don't think that the error messages from disklabel(8) are related
to an extended AHDI partition missing a couple of sectors. Disklabel(8)
doesn't know anything about the AHDI partition table, it can only
handle a NetBSD partition table.

In general (YMMV) the problem with disklabel(8) is that it is very
old software, from the times that hard disks had a fixed geometry (sp?).
Modern SCSI disks do not have a fixed number of sectors per cylinder,
so you'll have to do some calculations here.

Guaranteed is the total number of sectors per unit (the size of
partition c, the whole disk), which is provided by the SCSI driver.
You'll have to figure out which values are best used for # of
cylinders and secpercyl (depending on your partitions; it's best
if partitions start and end at cylinder boundaries).

BTW when you add a partition to the label, you must increase the
number of partitions manually. Disklabel(8) is not very clever
about this either. :-(

Yes, all of this is not very user-friendly, and it will certainly
be improved. But disklabel(8) is not a platform dependant tool, so
it's much more difficult to get some improved code in the main
source tree.

Waldi