Subject: Problems installing NetBSD/atari 1.1-BETA on Falcon
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Helmar Goettsch <goettsch@sunbayer32.informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 11/17/1995 17:09:00
Hi all
(Hi Leo I'm back on trying NetBSD on my Falcon :-)

I have some question and an problem while installing the current
NetBSD/atari on my Falcon from ftp.netbsd.org (very good connection now,
new nets and lines in USA ?)

First the positive hints, I recognize:
	- it supports my new Falcon FX memory extension card
	  (message 8 MB RAM after starting BOOT-kernel)
	- it supports my high resolutions (only monochrom ?)
	  (896x608 or 1024x768 with BlowUP)

Some negative hints (not important):
	-  the TOS-tools: chg_pid, rawwrite, and loadbsd are not "user-friendly"
	   i.e. they don't wait for RETURN after finished work,
	   so one couldn't recognize status or error msg on GEM, because
	   the output screen dissapeared at once
	    (Hmm Leo, we 'd discussed that once ago, and you have corrected it
	     for a long while, don't you remember ?)

	-  chg_pid has "strange" counting:
	   the drives start from 0 (told in text)
	   the partitions start from 1 (NOT told in text)

	-  the distribution files (sets) are - NOT according to guide INSTALL -
	   in the name format <set>.?? (?? = aa, ab, ...), i.e. have NOT
	   GEMDOS-filenames. So how can I install from GEMDOS ? Only with
	   renaming (e.g. base.tar.gz to base.aa) ?
	   Is there a way to mount MINIX-filesystems (from MiNT-KGMD, with
	   normal UNIX-filenames) ?

Now the problem stopping my actual installation try
(no luck for me, Leo ;-)
After starting BOOT-kernel (from loadbsd as normal way),
after loading the two BSD-fs floppies
I got the message
	sd0: Illegal TOS partition table
... some lines with dma_ready ...
	sd1: Illegal TOS partition table
... some lines with dma_ready ...
	WARNING: No SWAP space found
and later the install script mentioned not finding any NetBSD partions.
Also I'm not able to mount_msdos my GEMDOS partitions.
Interesting is that I have exactly the same disks and with the same
programm partitioned as in the test-phase half a year ago:
NetBSD-disk:  sd0: <QUANTUM 270MB>
GEMDOS-disk:  sd1: <CDC 580 MB>
driver and partition program: HDDRIVER
(exact dates follows, when I'm back at home)
Also I have put the correct NetBSD partition ID's (NBR, NBS, NBU)
on the disk sd0 with 'chg_pid'

Any ideas ?
At that time of the old test-phase I did exact the same and got no such error
message, i.e. the kernel recognized my partition tables on my disks

Thank you for help

--
          ___   __   Helmar Goettsch (Admin HEG: Lehrstuhl III, Informatik)
  /   /  /     /  '  Orleansstr. 34, D-81667 Muenchen     Room: O109, ZI