Subject: Re: Misc. observations (was Building Taylor UUCP)
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel Eriksson <daniel@icon.pp.se>
List: port-atari
Date: 11/07/1995 21:44:28
Leo wrote:

> I think your problem is basically the same as Daniel's. You have to
> fill /etc/uucp with the correct set of taylor config files. Thereafter
> your problem should be solved. The point is that if you don't, taylor
> won't open the port initially with clocal on (you can check this with
> stty -a while connected), you will get a write-error on the first char
> written.

Well, my problem was not the config files, it was config.h and policy.h.
After comparing the files you pointed me at (from ftp.netbsd.org) with
the ones I first tried with I noticed a couple of differences. I don't
know which of the differences made Taylor barf at me, but I guess
HAVE_BSD_TTY is one of them (I had it defined and the 'official' policy.h
had HAVE_POSIX_TERMIOS defined instead). After recompiling, with
slightly modified policy.h and config.h files, I got Taylor 1.06.1 to
talk to the modem.

However, I still have the same problem as with 1.05. ;-(

After turning on maximum debug output (debug 11)  I found out what was
going on. If I understand the debug-info correctly Taylor processes all
incoming packets without delay and then idly waits for the next packet
to arrive from the serial driver. In the Debug-file I have I can see
Taylor wait between 1 and about 10 seconds for new packets to arrive.
The feed from the modem is not a problem, I can see that as soon as Taylor
sends an ACK I get a couple of bursts and then the transfer dies while
Taylor waits for the packets to go through the serial driver. This
normally is instantaneous (at least it appears that way under MiNT),
but in this case incoming data somehow gets delayed (A LOT!) while
passing through the serial driver.

This could of course also be a problem with the way Taylor reads from
the serial driver.

Has anybody in Atari-land managed to get good serial throughput running
NetBSD-current? On a Falcon? With UUCP? With SLIP/CSLIP/PPP?

HELP! I'm getting desperate! ;-)

---
Daniel Eriksson, daniel@icon.pp.se
"Peacekeeping - it's not a job for soldiers, but only soldiers can do it!"