Subject: Re: Misc. observations (was Building Taylor UUCP)
To: None <hohmuth@inf.tu-dresden.de>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 11/07/1995 12:45:00
> Daniel Eriksson wrote:
>
> > From the flashing of lights on the modem I take it uucico managed
> > to pull up/down a line or two. It didn't look like it was sending
> > any data though. Unfortunately I don't have the log-file handy, but
> > I remember seeing something about "write error".
>
> That reminds me...
>
> I've also tried accessing my modem from my freshly-installed NetBSD.
> What happened was this: After running "cu -l mdm02 dir", `cu' reported
> "Connected", but when typing any character, it immediatly said "cu:
> write: Input/output error" and exited (in some cases it even bombed
> with a segmentation fault and hanged until killed from another
> terminal).
I think your problem is basically the same as Daniel's. You have to
fill /etc/uucp with the correct set of taylor config files. Thereafter
your problem should be solved. The point is that if you don't, taylor
won't open the port initially with clocal on (you can check this with
stty -a while connected), you will get a write-error on the first char
written.

> Two other unrelated observations:
>
> The /etc/ttys line defines my virtuals as "vt200", but there's no
> "vt200" terminal definition in /usr/share/misc/termcap.  This should
> be changed to "vt220".
This is a bug in the etc-set. I'll fix this before 1.1 .

> At one time I had "MMU error" panics during the boot process; reboots
> didn't help.  The problem persisted until I power-cycled the machine.
Waldi had them too sometimes. It seems that something is not (always)
correctly initialized. What that 'something' is is unclear. I have never
seen it happen myself and you are the second one reporting it, if my
memory is correct.

Leo.