Subject: questions/remarks on running NetBSD on a falcon030
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Kilbinger <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 11/07/1995 02:23:19
Hi!

Using NetBSD on my Falcon030 (14MB, 540MB SCSI disk, Screenblaster, 32
MHz accelerator) now for several weeks everything works very stable
except the following points:

- Floppy disks: I can mount and read data from (gem)dos disks
formatted in 360kb (fd0a), 720kb (fd0b) and 1.4mb (fd0c). But every
attempt to write data to the disk ends in a kernel hung (->reboot
necessary). When i use the mtools reading works fine, but writing is
impossible (`Device busy'!?), too. My mistake? (msdos partitions on my
harddisk work fine.)

- I'm running X directly via xdm in /etc/rc. I'd like to have an
xconsole window as non root. When I start xconsole as non root access
to /dev/console is denied. Changing /dev/console's ownership to that
of the non root user very often results in X hangings (no reactions on
further input (key and mouse)). How can this problem be solved?

I'm planning to add parallel port support for the kernel. Is there a
recipe of how to add it? Which files to create/use? Where to announce
the new port in the kernel? Which kernel structures to supply? etc.

Thanks for replies

Markus