Subject: Re: ?: sd1(...): dma-ready: code = 2
To: None <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
From: Michael Hohmuth <hohmuth@inf.tu-dresden.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 11/06/1995 18:49:16
Hi Leo,

thanks for your immediate follow-up.  Your suggestion banned those
annoying messages.

Leo Weppelman wrote:

> >     sd1(ncrscsi0:1:0): dma-ready: code = 2
> >
> > Can anyone tell me what that means and how I can get rid of it?

> It probably means that I have put the kernel I use myself on the bootflop
> and not the 'plain' kernel.

The kernel distributed along the Nov 1 release has been built from a
config file named "BOOT".

> I have parity checking disabled on target 0 & 4 only. the plain
> kernel disables parity checking on all devices. There seems to be a
> hardware problem on the TT that makes that parity doesn't work as it
> should. You can probably solve it by 'binpatching' the kernel to
> turn off parity checking.

Your posting reminded me that the drive has always had parity disabled
for it had in an earlier life been connected to an ACSI-SCSI-adapter
not supporting parity.  :-)

Do you mean that all TTs have the parity checking problem, or did you
suspect that just mine has it?  Would enabling parity in the drive
make any sense?

Have you checked with any of the TOS SCSI driver vendors (Uwe Seimet
<seimet@rhrk.uni-kl.de>, Julian Reschke <reschke@ESCHER.UNI-MUENSTER.DE>)?
I seem to recall that one of them once said that parity checking would
normally work on the TT SCSI interface.

Thanks again,
Michael
--