Subject: Re: Building NetBSD
To: None <daniel@icon.pp.se>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 11/04/1995 22:16:41
Hi Daniel,

> Hi Leo, and everyone else on the list!
>
> Leo wrote to me in email:
> > Fetch the kernel-source archive first. It contains all you need to
> > build your own kernel on all platforms (+/- 6Mb). You can find it
> > at: ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/src/sys.tar.gz
>
> I've fetched the source and I've also managed to figure out how
> to compile it. However, once compiled both BOOT and FALCON gives
> me:
>
> ffs: /dev/sd0d on /usr: Operation not supported by device
> mount: statfs /usr/src: No such file or directory
>
> What am I doing wrong?
It took me some time to figure this out.... In an urge to complete the
(name) transition from ufs to ffs, 2 or 3 days ago the kernel sources
were updated. The problem now is, that the mount_ffs program tells the
kernel to mount an ufs filesystem, the kernel however does not no of
an ufs filesystem anymore (confused? You won't be after the next
episode of .... ;-) ). To make a long story short, the mount_ffs prog
is out of sync with the current kernel sources. You have 2 options:
	1) compile a new mount_ffs program. This seems unwise,
	   because then your old kernel will not work anymore and
	   you'll need it in case anything else is wrong..
	2) patch the kernel sources so the new kernel is willing
	   to mount an ufs filesystem.

The 2nd option seems the best and if I'm right, it's quite simple.
Change the first occurence of 'MOUNT_FFS' in the file src/sys/ffs/ffs_vfsops.c
to "ufs" (quotes included!!).

Another problem came to mind. As you have a kernel supporting an
fpu-emulator, do you have the emulator sources? I pointed you to
where you should get them I think.
To the other folks on the list that seek a kernel with fpu-emulation
support: There is a small chance that it will be included in 1.1. It
is not yet complete but it sure is workable - take daniel's Falcon as
the working example ;-)

> /Daniel, who just finished compiling c-news under NetBSD...

Leo.