Subject: Re: Compiled a kernel but...
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Waldi Ravens <waldi@moacs.indiv.nl.net>
List: port-atari
Date: 10/24/1995 22:54:04
> I compiled the kernel overnight and all went except when
> it came to linking. One file called "zs.c" wants a symbol
> called "_abs" (probably wants stdlib).

abs() is a gcc builtin function, but the kernel is compiled
with the -fno-builtin option (it wasn't when I added abs()
to zs.c).

Leo, can you add an inline function to zs.c:
static inline int32_t abs(int32_t x)
{
	return x < 0 ? -x : x;
}

> Subjectively I think NetBSD is slower than LINUX, any
> truth to this statement ?

Yes, especially the console driver. :-(
I suspect that integrating the VM/buffer subsystems
would give an overall performance increase.

One of the things you can easily do for yourself is
mounting an mfs on /tmp.

> Where's the source for the slow Atari terminal output
> driver ?

/sys/arch/atari/atari/

Waldi