Subject: Re: NetBSD is running now -- questions...
To: Benjamin Lorenz <benni@phil.uni-sb.de>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 10/20/1995 09:12:35

> Well, all I have are the archives and the kernel from summer when
> I first tried to install NetBSD...
I was getting that feeling already ;-)

> Today I tried the 20. Aug kernel, but it doesn't find it's root file
> system?!:
>
>  no suitable root
>
> is printed and the system hangs. Did you change something on the
> NBR/NBU/NBS partition id system?
There have been some interesting changes in the labeling sceme. You
can now put a NetBSD disklabel on a partition. This gives you the
possibility of partitioning a disk 'mostly' independent of the AHDI
partitioning. The disk my root partition is on wasn't even touched by
AHDI. This can currently only be accomplished from a running NetBSD
system however. I did not have the time yet to make the install tools
do the job. Anyway, this was ment to be the first step to make NetBSD
able to be booted without TOS.
The sceme I mentioned _should_ be backwards compatible, as long as
you don't mark a partition with 'NBD'.

> Sorry if this again is documented in some README! ;)
No, you really got me here ;-) But as you are probably the only one that
has such an old kernel running and you wanted to upgrade anyway. In fact
you _have_ to get a new binary distribution because you are heading
for trouble using the new kernel with the older binaries. I think
the best think to do for you is wait until the 1.1_BETA will be released,
that will be around Oct. 27, and re-install. There will not be many
changes between 1.1_BETA and 1.1 and if you decide to upgrade, this
won't interfere with the things to modify in /etc and /usr/local. I've
upgraded quite a few times, it is usually done in about an hour.

Leo.