Subject: Re: NetBSD is running now -- questions...
To: None <benni@phil.uni-sb.de>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 10/19/1995 08:24:00
> Hi Leo and all the other Atari NetBSD users!
>
> After some work on my hardware (SCSI termination, Fast Ram Card
> and SIMMs), NetBSD runs without any MMU fault -- great!
>
> I am using a netbsd #5 kernel with DMA to TT Ram disabled.
The latest kernel available (from: .../NetBSD/arch/atari/floppies) is:
	NetBSD1.0A@(#)NetBSD 1.0A (BOOT) #6: Sun Aug 20 22:26:13 MET DST 1995

The first kernel to come will be NetBSD 1.1_BETA (somewhere around Okt. 27).
> (Is this still needed?...)
I guess not.

> Here come a lot of questions / remarks
>
>  - under heavy load (well, while running the /etc/daily script ;))
>    the keyboard driver doubles some input characters:
>    I write hello and I get hhellloo or something similar.
I've never noticed this, but I'll make a note ;-)

>  - mounting of msdos partitions doesn't work. Waldi, didn't you
>    fix this? where can I find a patched kernel?
It should work in the latest kernels. I intergrated Waldi's patches in the
main tree. If it still doesn't work in the 1.1_BETA ring a bell - _hard_.

>  - quotas are "not build in this kernel". Is this a general
>    problem or just some decision while configuring the
>    kernel?
It is not configured in the 'BOOT' kernels that are supplied on the floppies.
I try to keep them small. I plan to distribute a GENERIC kernel for NetBSD1.1
that will support it. Actually, it's a kernel config option.

>  - fsck always checks the filesystem and mount says: please fsck(8).
>    Seems as if the clean flag never gets set?
I'm sure you got old binaries/kernel now. You should get at least the
latest set to fix this. Maybe you want to wait until the 1.1_BETA or 1.1
to make sure you don't have to download the stuff twice or trice.

>  - I found a pppd -- is SLIP also compiled in? Where can I find
>    a dip source and/or binary that compiles/runs under NetBSD?
Both slip & ppp are standard included in the kernel. I don't know where
the source of dip is. I should be somewhere because I remember people
saying they were using it.

>  - Which files do I need to try out X11R6? Where can I find them
>    on ftp.netbsd.org?
They are not on ftp.netbsd.org, but on ftp.uni-regensburg.de . I have
posted a howto on X11R6 a while back on this list. Maybe you should
get the mailing-list from the archives at ftp.netbsd.org and checkout
the article. I don't have it handy here.

>  - When is the 1.1 release scheduled? I heard something of Nov 95?
Nov. 17 1995 ;-)

>  - how can I test how much memory is in use and how much swapspace
>    is available?
swapspace: pstat -s ? Check out the manual pages on vmstat/pstat/iostat.

>  - how can I switch over to a german keyboard layout?
checkout the directory: .../NetBSD/arch/atari/utils.NetBSD, especially
the README ;-)

Leo.