Subject: Re: Building your own kernel
To: None <bsdnat@zumdick.rhein-main.de>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 10/15/1995 14:42:58

> In <m0t2baE-00007uC@waux11.wau.mis.ah.nl> you (Leo Weppelman) wrote:
>
> >> A couple of questions...
> >>
> >> What must I download to compile my own kernel ?
> >> [ I have base, comp, etc and man ]
> >>
> >> Is this all I need ?
> >>         ksrc10  This set contains the sources to the NetBSD 1.0
> >>                 kernel, config(8), config.new(8) and dbsym(8).
> >>                 [ 4.5M gzipped, 20.8M uncompressed ]
> >No, there is no NetBSD 1.0 release ;-) There will be a NetBSD 1.1 soon
> >and the ksrc11 would give you the NetBSD 1.1 kernel sources.
> >I'm not sure that this is (always) what you wnat though. If you want the
> >_latest_ kernel source for a NetBSD platform you should get:
> >	.../NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/src/sys.tar.gz
> >This file contains a weekly snapshot of the latest kernel sources. They
> >are not guaranteed to work (although the usually do). Note that ksrc11
> >_will_ be guaranteed to compile and work ;-)
>
> Ok I got that. When I say 'make' I get something like "only links and tags",
> which looking at the Makefile in src/arch/atari doesn't surprise me...
> Is this really all I need ?
Yes. The build steps are:
	1) cd ..../src/arch/atari/conf
	2) Select a config file you like, edit it if you wish
	3) Type: config <the file you choose>
	4) cd ../compile/<the file you choose>
	5) make depend
	6) make

> So this can't be the whole story I think. Also I would like to know in
> what format updates to the source are spread.
Updates are spread using the sup-command. I can't help you out with this
however as I can't use it myself yet :-(
Sup allows you to get updates on sub-sets of the repository.

> Wouldn't it be better for me to get the whole Repository (from somewhere)
> and then later on diffs thereof, then this large tar file ?
The whole repository seems a bit over done when you only want to build a
new kernel ;-) When you want all sources, be sure you have about 180Mb
disk space. This excludes the space needed to store the objects.

Leo.