Subject: Re: Hi Leo
To: None <bsdnat@zumdick.rhein-main.de>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 08/24/1995 08:29:00
> I'll just conveniently combine a test whether this list works, with
> a report how it went installing NetBSD on a Falcon.
List test succeeded...

> Well it did not. With plain vanilla TOS, loadbsd.ttp complained
> silently to STDAUX something (probably because the Pdomain (MiNT)
> call failed), asked for a keypress and then aborted.
It _is_ linked with MiNT libraries. What i didn't expect is
that the stderr get's lost. If you try 'loadbsd -h' do you see
that output? On my TT it works, but the Falcon is a bit different.

> With MultiTOS loadbsd deduced that my machine was strange
> : unknown FPU type
>
> which is true, because I fried my FPU just a couple of days ago
> and pulled it from the machine. Does that mean that NetBSD also
> needs a FPU (like Linux?). Argh.
Yes...no . That the loader complains about it is _definitely_ wrong.
The complete story is that the kernel itself does _not_ use the FPU.
A lot of programs in the distribution however, _do_ need the FPU. So
you will end up with an almost unusable system when the FPU is not
installed. There are 2 ways to get around this:
	1) An FPU emulator
	2) Compile the complete distribution with -msoft_float

There is/was some work going on on 1). I currently don't know
what the status is. Currently there is only a skeleton that allows
fsave/frestore. They are used by the kernel to assure a proper context
switch. I myself will not do 2) because I don't have the time. If
someone volunteers.....

Leo.