Subject: new binary distribution
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 08/21/1995 21:23:55
Hi,

	Because my TT complained that he was bored during the nights, I
decided to build a complete new binary distribution. This morning
I managed to put it all on ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/arch/atari .

There is:
   ..../floppies:
		An updated INSTALL document. There are still some
		areas that need extension/update, but I added new
		sections on 'how to upgrade' and 'Using NetBSD labels'
		(more on this later).
		A new set of floppies. The boot-floppy now contains a
		kernel that boots on both TT _and_ Falcon.
   ..../binary:
		The complete new set of binaries. Compiled with the
		source tree of 12 Aug. I even had room to compile the
		games-set ;-)

I reorganized the ..../util directory. It's now split into 'util.tos' and
'util.NetBSD'. This first contains TOS utilities needed to get NetBSD/Atari
'up-and-running'. Currently only 'gzip.ttp' and 'rawwrite.ttp.gz'. The
latter is not yet ready, but I plan to put the keyboard-mappings in there.
They will show up later this week.

Some (kernel) high-lights of the new distribution:
	- Fixed floppy driver (again ;-) )
	- Falcon SCSI/SCC/video  support
	- A mouse driver
	- Fixed pty's
	- Fixed keyboard map handling (mapping will not 'suddenly'
	  disappear anymore).
	- NetBSD-disklabel support. You can now actually _write_
	  disklabels. You can override AHDI partitioning or even have a
	  disk without AHDI partitioning. You can look how to use it
	  in the INSTALL document.
	- Lots and lots of other changes in the general distribution.

WARNING: Do _not_ update the kernel _without_ the new distribution. Some
	 programs (like mount! ) will not work properly.

Have fun, and let me know if there are problems (possible improvements).

Leo.