Subject: Re: st-mem, floppy
To: None <a1648888@athena.rrz.uni-koeln.de>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 07/03/1995 21:10:53
Hi,

> Hallo,
> I've just read Leo's message telling us that he has X11 running. Can't
> wait to see it on my own computer...
The keyboard mapping is finished. The mouse buttons are not (yet). In the
meantime I found out that it will only run in monochrome mode. For me
that means ST-HIGH. I did not dig into this any further however. But
as you are capable of using the other (19'') mono-mode maybe you
like to try... If you do, mail me and I'll tell you what you need.
Talking about the keyboard mappings; as you mail from germany, do you
have a UK-kyboard. I never heard you complain but I think the german
keyboard map is a bit different. I have a program to change the ite
keyboard mappings. I currently have only a US-map (thanks to Adventurer).
If someone is willing to fill in the german map, again mail me.
The keyboard mapping stuff is not yet on lamp, but it is nearly on top
of my todo-list ;-)

> Since kernel 5 arrived, I've been able to use the port with my 19"
> monochrome monitor. (Almost) everything looks quite nice and runs well.
>
> When NetBSD boots, I get the message
>   st-mem pool exhausted, use binpatch to get more
> What is this trying to tell me?
The kernels I supply on lamp are made small enough to allow booting in 4Mb.
As the Atari video needs memory below 16Mb, this memory should be preallocated
because the kernel memory allocator does not allow me to specify where memory
should be allocated. You can use the 'binpatch' program to modify the
contents of 'st_pool_size'. This var. contains the size of the pre-allocated
locore-area in bytes. When you make this large enough (> 350Kb), you will
have a 2nd console. Most people have this by default because their video
mode requires less memory.

> I was very happy when mounting the tos partitions became possible (thanks
> to Waldi, I think he was the one who found a solution). Unfotunately, I
> still can't mount a floppy (neither DD nor HD), but I'll have to find out
> whether my drive has a problem. (can't read floppies written by my ST).
I found out that the floppy is somewhat unstable. Today I tried it and
it gave me 'device not configured'. After a reboot all was ok. I don't
know what is wrong yet. For the use of DD-floppies, I have to rely on
someone else because I do not own a 1.44Mb drive. I tried to buildin
support for it though.

> Does anyone have problems with the SCSI bus? While booting, the system
> prints four "unknown SCSI command" messages. All SCSI devices are
> correctly recognized, though, and work OK. Yesterday, while I was
> unpacking the current bsd source tree on my hard disk, the SCSI bus hung
> and I had to reboot. That was the first and -so far- only time this happened.
Could you figure out the exact message and the device being probed when this
happens. I could find the string by grepping... I never had a hanging SCSI-bus
though. I must admit however that there is no watchdog timer yet. As I
never needed it, it's not high priority on my todo-list.

Leo.