Subject: Re: COnfiguration
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Waldi Ravens <waldi@moacs.indiv.nl.net>
List: port-atari
Date: 06/23/1995 19:12:30
Adventurer wrote:

> Well, I ran the Configure utility once again and was unable to obtain a
> working network once again.
>
> The timed and sendmail programs keep saying that they cannot find my
> hostname: dingBAT.netbsd.home.

You must either configure and run the name server daemon (named) or else
use the /etc/hosts file, which must of course contain an entry for your
host, eg. 1.2.3.4 dingbat.netbsd.home,dingbat

> And of course when rc.net netstart run, they say
> dingBAT.netbsd.home: Bad value.
>
> domainname returns a blank -- of course when I create /etc/defaultdomain,
> it reports whatever is there.
> hostname returns dingBAT.netbsd.home.

Forget about domainname, it is only for your NIS (formerly YP) domain,
which has nothing in common with your Internet domain. If you're not
using NIS, delete /etc/defaultdomain. If you want to use NIS, get a
good book about it. ;-)

> Please let me know which files I need to attach for someone to offer me
> assistance in configuring my system so that I can _finally_ use it to
> connect to my internet provider using PPP.  I have not even tried to use
> PPP so I don't even know if that works!  But, I can scrounge around and
> get a pppd from somewhere, though.
>
> Any help (here or private email) will be greatly appreciated and will go
> into my log to be later posted as a 'Getting Started with NetBSD: a
> novice's guide.'

This `guide' already exists, but is called manual pages. :-)

Waldi