Subject: Re: can't install NetBSD...
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 06/13/1995 07:54:00
> > > But gzip for TOS exists! Perhaps you could add a gzip binary to the
> > > utils directory. I will go and look for it, ok?
> > But shouldn't I also put the TOS-sources somewhere? I thought this was
> > required by the GPL.
>
> It is. But have you ever seen an FTP-server carrying TOS and/or Linux
> binaries, which also provides the sources from which those binaries were
> compiled? It's peculiar that the GPL seems to be mostly respected only by
> those who release the software they write under another license; kind of
> a contradiction. Well, that's life...

When looking at the gnu source tree, especially gzip :-), I found out that
you can compile it for the atari-st also. So I guess we are reasonably
fullfilling the requirements. I can put a gzip.ttp into the util directory
and remove the not-zipped binaries and kernels. Maybe someone (Benni?)
could point me to an ftp-able gzip for TOS? I have no intention building
it myself.

Leo.