Subject: Re: can't install NetBSD...
To: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@lagavulin.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 06/13/1995 10:47:00

> > > It is. But have you ever seen an FTP-server carrying TOS and/or Linux
> > > binaries, which also provides the sources from which those binaries were
> > > compiled? It's peculiar that the GPL seems to be mostly respected only by
> > > those who release the software they write under another license; kind of
> > > a contradiction. Well, that's life...
>
> I always find that _extremely_ amusing, as i'm not only an advocate of
> a set of license terms that's far from the GPL, but i'm an advocate of
> "copyright sense," i.e. the people should know what their copyrights
> and license terms means...
In my interpretation the "copyright sense" is met in this case. As the
source allows one to create the gunzip command for TOS.

> As far as i can tell, _VERY_ few people actually pay serious attention
> to, understand, or even (in many cases) _look at_ the license terms
> for the software and/or source code they use, or the various laws,
> treaties, and conventions that underly the notion of "copyright."
>

> > When looking at the gnu source tree, especially gzip :-), I found out that
> > you can compile it for the atari-st also. So I guess we are reasonably
> > fullfilling the requirements.
>
> Just FYI: (as far as i can tell) the version of gzip in the NetBSD
> source tree _does not_ include atari support.  therefore, if you're
> going to distribute atari 'native' binaries, you need to distribute
> the sources as well...
When looking at 'gzip/policy.h', there is an ifdef that says:
	#if defined(ATARI) || defined(atarist)
This is clearly meant for 'native' atari-TOS. The question is: is this
enough. According to my personal understanding of the GPL it is. But
I must admit that you have been far more involved in the copyright stuff
as I ever want to ;-)

Leo.