Subject: Re: Dumping files to SCSI HDs.
To: None <asx@ccnet.com>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: port-atari
Date: 06/12/1995 06:33:22
>>>>> "Adventurer" == Adventurer  <asx@ccnet.com> writes:

Adventurer> Hm.. I've had such a question posed to me earlier: some
Adventurer> guy was leaving his university (graduated) and wanted to
Adventurer> take his work.  I said, if they have a PC, get a SCSI and
Adventurer> have the SysAdmin (ha!) do the transfer.

Adventurer> Has anyone actually used to transfer files on a SCSI HD
Adventurer> from one UNIX platform to another, if so, how?  Would you
Adventurer> share your method.

Sure!  If communication links or removable R/W media is too slow or
unavailable, you can always use a SCSI HD.  If the systems share any
type of filesystem, just mount them and use tar to do the actual
archiving, in order to keep long filenames and privilege bits.  If no
mutual filesystem exists, use it as a tape, i.e. write/read to/from
the raw device.  It's no problem at all, just be careful to use the
right device node...

Niklas