Subject: Re: Dumping files to SCSI HDs.
To: None <niklas@appli.se>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: port-atari
Date: 06/12/1995 07:56:41
>>>>> "Niklas" == Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se> writes:

>>>>> "Adventurer" == Adventurer  <asx@ccnet.com> writes:
Adventurer> Hm.. I've had such a question posed to me earlier: some
Adventurer> guy was leaving his university (graduated) and wanted to
Adventurer> take his work.  I said, if they have a PC, get a SCSI and
Adventurer> have the SysAdmin (ha!) do the transfer.

Adventurer> Has anyone actually used to transfer files on a SCSI HD
Adventurer> from one UNIX platform to another, if so, how?  Would you
Adventurer> share your method.

Niklas> Sure!  If communication links or removable R/W media is too
Niklas> slow or unavailable, you can always use a SCSI HD.  If the
Niklas> systems share any type of filesystem, just mount them and use
Niklas> tar to do the actual archiving, in order to keep long
Niklas> filenames and privilege bits.  If no mutual filesystem exists,
Niklas> use it as a tape, i.e. write/read to/from the raw device.
Niklas> It's no problem at all, just be careful to use the right
Niklas> device node...

The above may have sounded like I'm not aware of different
partitioning models, which I am.  If a system has a partition table
not handled by the other one, you have to use the raw device model,
unless any of the systems in question support passing block-ranges to
the mount operation.  Might be a good idea to add to NetBSD,
actually...

Niklas