Subject: Re: Linux ext2 partitions and NetBSD
From: Waldi Ravens <waldi@moacs.indiv.nl.net>
List: port-atari
Date: 06/10/1995 15:19:00
In <Pine.3.89.9506091941.B7641-0100000@ccnet3>, Adventurer <asx@ccnet.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to read the ext2 partitions of Linux on NetBSD (obviously
> not working at the moment with #5.)

No NetBSD does not have an ext2 filesystem driver, nor does Linux
have a fast filesystem driver. The only filesystem type supported
by both is the messdos/gemdog filesystem. Adding filesystem drivers
to NetBSD is fairly easy, but I doubt anyone will add support for
minix or ext2, as ffs is more efficient. It seems more likely that
some day someone will write an ffs or lfs driver for Linux.

> What partition scheme is "standard".

None, each computer manufacturer has introduced it's own partition
layout. On the Atari platform most currently available operating
systems understand the AHDI 3.0 compatible scheme. Linux/m68k also
understands the (proprietary) ICD partition layout. Future versions
of NetBSD/Atari will no longer depend on (but still support) the
AHDI 3.0 partition layout.

> Basically, say I walk in to the university and ask them to
> mount my HD and copy my files over,

Forget it. Unless they happen to have Atari's at your university...

> what partition should I have to be able to read them on NetBSD or Linux?
> Assuming that the university has Suns.

The problem is that those Suns, even if they are running NetBSD, will
not understand the AHDI 3.0 partition layout on your disk.

You could however archive (tar/cpio) the files you want to transfer,
and raw-write the archive to tape or disk (be carefull not to destroy
your AHDI root sector or the auxilary root sectors).

Waldi