Subject: Re: can't install NetBSD...
To: Benjamin Lorenz <benni@phil.uni-sb.de>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 06/09/1995 23:08:59
Hi Benni,

> today I decided to make another try in installing NetBSD on my TT, but
> with _no_ success at all! :-(
>
> Ok, TT-high is working now, but I DONT get rid of these f*cking
> MMU faults!
Waldi mentioned to me that he has had the problem once and never
again... What he told me was that when booting NetBSD from Magic
the problems were gone. It looks like something is not explicitely
initialized that should be. Strange thing is that you are the only
one always having this problem :-(

> I have only 2 MB ST-ram, you know, and 20 MB TT-ram. I tried booting
> with 4, 6 and 20 MB TT-ram (using loadbsd -T).
I tried it a while back when you were having problems. The 2/4 combination
worked on my TT. As NetBSD knows nothing more than you tell it, there
_should_ be no difference.

> Sometimes I get MMU fault right after "press RETURN for sh", or simply
> nothing happens at all, or some vvvvvvvv are printed on the screen
> and that's it.
>
> The time when the kernel crashes is NOT deterministic. Sometimes right
> after loading the ramsys, sometimes while loading /bin/sh...
Ain't there something usefull in the dump info shown?

> Waldi, you have a lot of TT-ram, too! What the hell goes up on my TT?
> Linux runs absolutely stable (6-10 days uptime without trouble).
>
> There seems to be nothing special with my TT beside the 2 MB ST-ram.
> I have 4 SCSI devices: Quantum LPS 520MB, Conner 120MB, Toshiba 3401 CD-ROM,
> Fujitsu M2512A MO-Drive.
>
> DMA to TT-ram is disabled and I was using the netbsd.5 kernel.
>
> Help! :-(((
Hope I did. Maybe Waldi has more suggestions...

> Benni
>
> PS: Leo, why do you upload some files twice, packed and unpacked?
>     Mirror sites have to transfer more data than needed and some people
>     like knarf (Frank Bartels) have to pay for each megabyte (knarf is
>     mirroring my server at SB, which in turn mirrors sun-lamp).
As a general rule, I only upload files in both flavors when people might
need them before NetBSD is installed. I've got complaints from people
that they couldn't decompress...

Leo.