Subject: Re: ATARIX: Loadable device drivers
To: Adventurer <asx@ccnet.com>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 06/09/1995 11:26:42

> Hmm.. all the files I have are from /pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.0/arch/atari/
> from sunlamp.cs.berkeley.edu.
Then you have the 'original' atari distribution allright.

> Like I said, I've had great success with it and have been able to obtain
> joe2.5 source and compiled it without a hitch.  I also got a hold of tcsh
> and lynx (from the same site but the amiga/mac binaries.)
Yep, most of the binaries from amiga/mac should work. There are some exeptions
but this is because of system specific stuff - disklabels, graphics etc.

> You mean there is already a X system (albeit buggy) running under
> NetBSD?  Sounds interesting.  By the way, where can I get the sources for
> the Atari port?  I looked in the same directory and could not find any
> thing.
I didn't say that X was running! What I thought you wanted was another
video mode on one of the consoles, did you check the manpage of iteconfig?
I think to get X running, most of the stuff could be taken from the
Amiga. The server to drive the display will be Atari specific. Last
week, I have rewritten the keyboard driver to detect and assemble
the mouse-packages. It's a start... and it had to be done anyway because
a mouse-movement was generating a lot of garbage :-)
The atari kernel-sources can be found in:
  /pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/src/tar_files/sys.tar.gz
This is from memory, there might be a typo somewhere :-) What you get
then, is the complete distribution of the kernel source for _all_
distributions. You can remove from the sys/arch dir. what you don't
need if you're out of diskspace. Also in the tar_files directory are
the other sources of the distribution.

Leo.