Subject: Re: ATARIX: Loadable device drivers
To: Adventurer <asx@ccnet.com>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 06/08/1995 23:09:50

> Loadable Kernel Modules, I assume.
Exaxtly!

> Hey, you're the guy I can ask about some good books for writing device
> drivers.
Some books I've read myself:
    writing unix device drivers - George Pajari
        Nice book, mostly about SYSV4/i386. It's fun to read although
        it contains some nice bugs :-)
    The design of the Unix operating system - Maurice Bach
        About general SV3? kernel stuff. Good for your understanding
        of the kernel.
    The design of the 4.3 BSD operating system - Leffler et. al
        Same as above about BSD :-) There will be an 4.4 BSD version soon
        it is rumoured.
    A commentary on the Unix operation system - ?????
        Some course containing V6 source code. A derivation of this source
        has been running on my TT for quite some time. It got me interested
        and started :-) It was written in 1974 and not for sale anymore.
        A collectors item I would say.

But mostly: take a kernel like NetBSD and rummage around a lot. Writing
device drivers and other kernel stuff is best learned by practice!
You will hit your head quite a few times, but that's life. The more
fun you have when it works :-))

> By the way, I recall you mentioned that someone needs to write a kernel
> for X11-- well, how about I atleast get a chance to write the TT-med text
> mode driver?  I would appreciate if you could direct me to the sources or
> better still, if you could send me the code for the mono driver so I can
> start playing with it.
I don't know what kind of distribution you have, if you've got the original
atari distribution, try 'iteconfig'. Don't try it on virt. console 0! It
still crashes sometimes on resizes, but 1 and up should work.

> I'd like to add a screen saver to it first of all.
I'm afraid you'll have to start practicing here :-)

Leo.