Subject: Another new kernel on sun-lamp
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 06/04/1995 22:52:08
Hello,

	I've just uploaded kernel version 5. It contains a patch from
Waldi Ravens to make the MSDOS-fs driver work on the atari. The is
a pitfall however...
The following is a (translated) quotation of Waldi Ravens:

The problem is not completely clear. What happens is that all
directories are accessed using the clustersize as unit. The length
of the root directory, however, is seldomly a multiple of the
clustersize. Assume the following setup:
    BytesPerSector  = 2048 bytes
    SectsPerCluster = 2 Sectors
    RootDirSize     = 64 entries (== 1 sector)

The rootdir takes 1 cluster (actually .5 cluster, but as we are using
integer arithmic... :-) ). When writing entry no. 64 (or higher),
the first FAT will be destroyed. This could be prevented but it
seems that the driver does not take care of this. Instead a
mysterious warning (about the rootdir size not being a multiple
of the clustersize) will appear during mount. When you want to play
completly safe: don't use the root directory!

Have fun, Leo.