Subject: New kernel on sun-lamp
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 04/28/1995 14:04:44
Hello,

	I have just uploaded a new kernel to sun-lamp. It can be
found in the directory 'arch/atari/kernels'. I included the
README I have put into that directory below. Let me know
how it works!

- Leo.

===== Start README ===
This directory contains new kernels. The number extension gives the version
of the kernel. Use 'uname -v' to figure out what version of the kernel you
are currently running.
The kernel version on the bootfloppy is 1.
Some options in the kernel can be changed by using 'binpatch'. This program
is not supplied on the distribution. You can get the source from the
'src/sys/arch/atari/stand/binpatch' directory and compile it yourself.

Major changes in kernel 2:
  - Bugs fixed in the floppy driver. It now checks the write-protect state
    on open. This means write protected floppies cannot be mounted 'rw' as
    expected. I also fixed the close() function. In the version 1 kernel,
    umounting a floppy could give a kernel panic because close() did not
    return a proper value.
  - CDROMS are now properly configured
  - The kernel now assumes that DMA to TT-ram is buggy (as it certainly is
    on some motherboard revisions). This can slow down disk access considerably
    in some cases, but at least it will work. If you think your board is ok,
    you can enable DMA to TT-ram by:
	binpatch -s _no_ttram_dma -o 8192 -r 0 netbsd
  - The display-mode selection should now correctly select TT-high if it
    finds a highres monitor attached. I can not test this however, so
    someone else must confirm it if this is correct.

===== End README ===