Subject: Re: First steps...
To: None <benni@phil.uni-sb.de>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 04/25/1995 14:33:00
Hello,

> Yesterday, I made the first steps in getting the whole NetBSD/atari system
> installed.
Just curious, did you install from the atari binary set or did you take
the Amiga set?

> It looks all very nice, but:
>
>  - What about TT-high? I get nothing but garbage on my Protar 19" Screen
I have heard of this problem. Because I do not have such a monitor, it's
hard to check what's wrong. The problem can be in 3 places:
   1) The code that does the monochrome detection.
      Maybe I can try this by fiddling with the detect line. It looks good
      however, but you'll never know.
   2)
      The code that selects a screen resolution dependent on possible
      video modes (the latter is dependent on the detection).
      This is what I think the most probable cause. I already wrote something
      about how to test it to somebody else but I haven't heard anything
      about it yet. So I'll include it here:
> First you need to get the stuff in 'src/sys/arch/atari/stand/binpatch'
> directory in the 'NetBSD-current' tree, compile it (and maybe install it).
> When this is done, make a copy of the NetBSD kernel and issue the commands:
>   binpatch -l -s _ite_default_width -o 8192 -r 1280  <netbsd.copied>
>   binpatch -l -s _ite_default_height -o 8192 -r 960  <netbsd.copied>
>   binpatch -l -s _ite_default_depth -o 8192 -r 1  <netbsd.copied>
      While binpatching, you see the original values of the variables, the
      should hold sensible values for st-high (640*400, depth 1).
      When this kernel is booted, you should at least notice that the tt-high
      mode is activated.
      You can (of course) also get the kernel source and try to fix it :-)
      Just grab the sys.tar.gz source archive located in:
			'/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/src'.
   3)
      The console code does not wwork on this resolution. This is very
      improbable because I tested it on all st-resolutions, tt-low + ttt-mid.

>  - Does NetBSD support Linux ext2 filesystems?
No, at least not yet. There are some people working on Linux compatibility
however (on ix86) to run the executables. So I guess the file systems will
follow?

>  - What about X?
I know it is running on the Amiga and Mac. There is at least some work to be
done on the grf-driver to be done. Thereafter, I think the X-server should
be adapted. The rest of the X-binaries should be compatible (I think).

>  - Does the SCC-Driver support 115200 bps? (want to SLIP with it...)
Currently I use a (fixed) divisor of 16. This will give you a miximum of
57600 bps (clockrate: 8Mhz). It won't be to hard to make this flexible.
When this is done, 115200 should be possible.

Bye, Leo.