Subject: Re: Proposal to fix booted_kernel on shark.
To: None <Richard.Earnshaw@arm.com>
From: None <toddpw@toddpw.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/21/2003 12:40:35
> That sounds like making life hard for the many in order to make life
> easier for the few.
>
> That's backwards in my opinion.  Anyone doing a retrofit as you suggest
> isn't going to be worried anywhere near as much about such an anomaly as a
> normal day-to-day user, with a correctly installed system, who can't get
> proper system dumps or whatever.
>
> Anyway, why would anyone installing a new kernel on an a.out system want
> to install their kernel under any name other than "netbsd"? -- the patch
> only removes a ".aout" extension if it is present.

The case that mrg's comment made me worry about was this:

	start with a stock 1.5.x system (/netbsd is a.out)
	install /netbsd.aout from 1.6 to test retrofit
	boot disk:\netbsd.aout
	machdep.booted_kernel claims the OLD kernel was booted

Is it safe to call printf() from ofw_device_register()?  If we can add a
status line to note that the kernel name is being changed, then I'm happy.

BTW this is pullup-1-6 #1081, so if the consensus is that shark owners are
expected to be clueful, that is fine too and I'll tell them to take it as is.

--
Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ toddpw.org