Subject: Re: Proposal to fix booted_kernel on shark.
To: None <toddpw@toddpw.org>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/21/2003 09:41:25
> > On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 09:10:55AM -0800, toddpw@toddpw.org wrote:
> >
> >  > mrg pointed out that this could confuse somebody with an a.out userland...
> >  > and I agree. Those programs will now get errors trying to grovel the wrong
> >  > kernel.
> >
> > If they're using an a.out userland, why would they have /netbsd.aout ?
>
> They could be retrofitting an old system with a new kernel, in order to solve
> a problem without reinstalling their whole machine.
>
> Since apparently some libkvm's can grok both OMF's, this is probably better
> fixed in libkvm.  Everyone who cares about the kernel OMF should be using it?

That sounds like making life hard for the many in order to make life
easier for the few.

That's backwards in my opinion.  Anyone doing a retrofit as you suggest
isn't going to be worried anywhere near as much about such an anomaly as a
normal day-to-day user, with a correctly installed system, who can't get
proper system dumps or whatever.

Anyway, why would anyone installing a new kernel on an a.out system want
to install their kernel under any name other than "netbsd"? -- the patch
only removes a ".aout" extension if it is present.

R.