Subject: Re: Mosaic browser library
To: Phillip Marsden <phillip.marsden@btinternet.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/22/2002 00:38:49
On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Phillip Marsden wrote:

> I installed Mosaic successfully. I discovered that it (apparently) does not
> deal with tables. Many of the sites that I normally visit are a mess with
> Mosaic, as it comes out of the box, although they display perfectly with
> IExplorer and Konqueror.

	Mosaic is a little... elderly shall we say :)

> I then tried to install Galeon 1.2.1, which required a lot of downloading
> (from the NetBSD 1.5 ftp site) to get the correct files. I finally got
> stuck when the Galeon install requested Mozilla-1.0rc1, which cannot be
> found anywhere.
>
> I then went back to Mosaic, only to find that it would not run, with the
> following message:
>
> /usr/lib/ld.so: mosaic: libpng.so.1.4: no such file or directory.

	Did you have to force any package installation while installing
	galeon? That could quite easily give the above behaviour.

> A find on libpng* gives the following files:
>
> /usr/pkg/lib/libpng.a
> /usr/pkg/lib/libpng.la
> /usr/pkg/lib/libpng.so.3.0
>
> It would appear that the attempt to install Galeon has updated the files to
> something that Mosaic cannot cope with. I have tried forcing a re-install
> on Mosaic and a few other packages to see if they would re-register, but to
> no avail. This is new ground to me, so if someone could point me where I
> can start sorting this out (hopefully without re-installing), then it would
> be very nice.

	You should be able to fix this by reinstalling your original version
	of libpng.

> What browsers are available? I have not installed KDE yet, but I can run
> Gnome, but am running fvwm95 at the moment as it runs rather quicker than
> Gnome. Gnome runs slightly quicker than on my Pentium 120, but much slower
> than my Pentium 500, and when you get used to the higher speeds..

	I'd recommend 'dillo' as a small and fast webbrower. Its not the
	more featureful, but can certainly handle tables :) I tend to
	go with galeon on larger machines, but skipstone may also be
	worth checking out.

> Addendum
>
> After writing the above, I checked the requirements of Mosaic using
> pkg_info, and it requires png>1.0.9. The version installed during the
> Galeon saga was png-1.2.1, which seems to me to be more than adequate. I
> re-installed png-1.0.10 and Mosaic started working again. However, Gnome
> does not, the X server locks up part way through initialisation. I seem to
> have really messed things up. How can I set this right?

	Once you start forcing package installation things tend to go
	south quite quickly. If you have your original packages around,
	you might want to delete them and reinstall.

	At any given time the binary package set on ftp.netbsd.org
	should be self-consistant, but _may_ not be guaranteed to
	work with older/newer binary packages. The png problem you
	had dates from quite a while back, and was the cause of a
	change in numbering procedure to try to avoid similar problems,
	but while there are CDs around with old binary packages its
	still going to catch people.

	If you have ~unlimited You can you can always build from source,
	(Adding DEPENDS_TARGET=package to your /etc/mk.conf will ensure
 	you machine always builds binary package after 'make update').

--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --