Subject: Re: Printing, BSD-style
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Phillip Marsden <phillip.marsden@btinternet.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/19/2002 12:09:05
At 07:57 19/06/2002 +0100, Stephen Borrill wrote:

> > **************************
> > (This appears to show that the Netport has been requested to print to
> > /dev/lp, but where has this request been set up?)
> > **************************
>
>No, it doesn't show that. It shows that the local machine has been set up
>to print to /dev/lp (which doesn't exist).
>
>Are you sure about marsden5? The logged errors are coming from marsden5
>(which is complaining it can't print to /dev/lp) which would suggest that
>your NetBSD machine is in fact marsden5 and not the print box.

Oh dear! My halo has definitely slipped down around my ankles and tripped
me up this time!

As I said, I had printing working and then it stopped. The reason is that I
had made one of those errors where you refuse to believe what you are
seeing, and see what you wish to see. The RiscPC was set up to be marsden5,
as was the Netport. The reason was this: when setting up the hostname
(after printing setup) I set it manually as marsden7, which it always has
been. When typing the required name into /etc/rc.d/network, I typed
marsden5!!??!! It was there in front of my face every time I booted up, but
I saw what I wanted to see!

When Stephen asked "Are you sure about marsden5?", I thought "yes I am
sure, it has been that way for about 4 years". Then I tried printing when
the Netport was switched off (in error), and got the same message from
marsden5. This, coupled with Stephen's question, made me think "now where
has THAT come from?".

The hostname is now in /etc/myname (as marsden7).

Now my original printcap entry works again, as does the entry suggested by
Stephen.

My thanks to both Stephen Borrill and Tom Javen for their responses.

--

Regards, Phillip Marsden.

phillip.marsden@btinternet.com