Subject: Re: NetBSD and RISC OS 4.27
To: Dave Daniels <dave_daniels@argonet.co.uk>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/04/2002 13:45:15
Hiya folks,

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 01:59:52PM +0000, Dave Daniels wrote:
> I have just got RISC OS 4.27 working on my Kinetic RiscPC and
> am pleased to report that NetBSD still boots successfully with
> this version of RISC OS using the old bootloader. There are two
> caveats, though:

OK ... the old bootloader :) .... hmm !!!! and the new bootloader ? does
this work too ? or do you mean !BtNetBSD as the `old' ?

> 1) If you have two SIMM strips in your RiscPC in addition to the
>    Kinetic card, you will have to take one of them out. This is
>    because of the memory organisation under RISC OS 4.27. With
>    two SIMM strips, RISC OS now has five physical memory areas.
>    This is one too many for the bootloader and, more importantly,
>    for the NetNSD kernel. The problem is that the kernel is passed
>    a fixed sized table (four entries) by the bootloader for the
>    physical memory layout. There are now five entries in the table
>    so things don't quite work... NetBSD still boots but I found
>    that the screen was messed up. Everything is okay if you take
>    out one of the SIMM strips. (Actually, the physical memory is
>    different again: there are only *three* areas listed...)

Yep ... sounds familiar :-/ .... I'm planning to change the bootloader's
structure to allow this but it will need some messing around... watch this
space ;)

Kinetic stuff still needs goo to let them operate more smoothly ... has to
do with pmap :( not my favourite

Cheers, Reinoud

P.S. please follow up in port-acorn32 now :)