Subject: RE: ISA SEEQ 8005 free to good homes
To: Aaron J. Grier <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: John Ruschmeyer <jruschme@mac.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/06/2001 14:06:57

------=_NextPart_000_0073_01C136DD.315F8360

******* DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DANGER! ******

8-bit ISA... SEEQ chip... sounds a lot like a 3C501, the original EtherLink.

If so, it is to be avoided like the plague. Why? Because it is a
particularly limited design, holding just enough memory for one packet. As a
result, most driver writers prefer to limit it to  two half-size packets.

IIRC, it was so bad that the Linux driver author once considered the idea of
putting a bounty on the cards since it would still be cheaper than what it
cost him to try and maintain the driver.

Besides, if it is a 3C501, don't we support it already?

<<<John>>>