Subject: Re: A couple of questions
To: Stuart Winter <m-lists@biscuit.org.uk>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@mpc-data.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/15/2001 13:24:35
> Hi.
>
> I installed NetBSD onto my A7000+ yesterday, but have a couple of questions.

What Version? I'll assume 1.5.1 in my responses.

> 1.  Is it possible to retain the wimpmode that RISC OS was using when booting
> into NetBSD?
> It is currently in mode 28, with the Sync configured so that it works with my
> mono VGA monitor.

Adjust the mode string in the bootloader to be an 8bit VGA mode (you
will have to specify it as a mode string rather than a mode number)
resolutions of 640x480 with a refresh rate of 60 ought to work on any
VGA monitor and is compiled into all kernels.

> When I boot NetBSD, the screen has a horizontal band in the centre of the
> screen which just flickers about.

It's probably gone to 1024x768 which is the default resolution set by
the bootloader.

> 2.  When I try and reboot the machine (shutdown -r now), it doesn't reboot
> but will just hang the machine solid.

Don't know what causes this but it is a problem that occurs from time
to time as the kernel is modified.

> I'm not sure whether question 2 is related to a hardware problem.  The
> machine itself often fails to detect (*podules won't find it) the EtherLan
> NIC unless the machine has had a power cycle.

I have seen this as well. It seems that the EtherLan card does not get
reset to power up state when the reset button is pressed. It works just
fine if you power cycle the machine or if shutdown -r resets the
machine. This is related to your shutdown -r problem above.

Mike