Subject: Re: Cross-built kernel hangs.
To: Dave Daniels <dave_daniels@argonet.co.uk>
From: David Forbes <david@flossy.u-net.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/25/2001 19:38:45
> The white stripe means that it is about to branch into the NetBSD
> kernel.
>
> Is it only this kernel that fails? Do you have other A7000 kernels
> that work? is this the first time that you have used NetBSD on
> this machine? The old !BtRiscBSD application allowed you to try
> to boot the machine with no memory dedicated to the screen. You
> don't get very far if you do this...

Sorry, I perhaps wasn't quite verbose enough.  I've been using NetBSD for
some time on this machine and have many working kernels.  This is actually
for my A7000+.  I'm fairly sure it's a problem with the cross-build
toolchain, but I'm not sure what.  (ISTR I tried using the arm-netbsd
cross pkg on an arm32 with the same results, but I thought it might be
something obscure that actually worked on an i386.)

What I'm really looking for, is either someone who has a) in the past had
a kernel that didn't boot past the white stripe and knows what caused it
(other than a cross build) and can therefore give me a clue in solving the
problem or b) has successfully done an i386->arm32 cross-build, and can
point out what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers,

David.

PS - The ultimate end-game here is that for the www kernel builder to be
really useful, it really could do with being able to cross build.