Subject: binutils problem (was Re: Shark boot image format)
To: None <Richard.Earnshaw@arm.com>
From: Michael Dales <michael@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/21/2001 15:11:42
Hi Richard,

Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com> writes:

> michael@dcs.gla.ac.uk said:
> > /tmp/ccV83p3k.s: Assembler messages: /tmp/ccV83p3k.s:346: Error: Can
> > not represent BFD_RELOC_ARM_PCREL_BRANCH relocation in this object
> > file format
>
> Your assembler is very badly screwed.  That is the fundamental relocation
> type for a "bl" instruction; all arm assemblers know how to support it, so
> you must somehow be not targeting the assembler cleanly.

Ah, I got the wrong end of the stick, sorry. I tested the assembler
with my own code and got the same results. Running it with --verbose
tells me that it thinks it is set up as I wanted.

> Does configuring the tools for arm-netbsd (note, not arm-aout-netbsd) make
> a difference (I'm just guessing here, I've nothing concrete to go on).

This does exactly the same thing. Looks like there's something ill
with generating binutils for the arm-netbsd targets. I'll have a few
more goes at seeing if I can identify the problem, and if not try the
gnu.gcc.help newsgroup. Failing that I guess I should list it as a bug.

I tried this with both binutils-2.11 and 2.11.2.

Thanks for the assistance!

--
Michael Dales --- email: michael@dcs.gla.ac.uk --- tel: +44 141 330 6297
Department of Computing Science, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, G12 8QQ