Subject: Re: How to boot RISC PC without harddisc?
To: None <bjh21@netbsd.org, port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Leo Smiers <l.smiers@chello.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/08/2001 13:17:29
In message <Pine.SOL.4.33.0107072012060.12766-100000@draco.cus.cam.ac.uk> you wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Leo Smiers wrote:
>
> > In message <Pine.SOL.4.33.0107061741370.28972-100000@draco.cus.cam.ac.uk> you wrote:
> > > If -current is OK, I can do it trivially.
> > Please, would you be so kind.
>
> <URL:ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/bjh21/cosc/netbsd.gz>
>
> Since that was a GENERIC kernel anyway, I thought I may as well add the
> NFS_BOOT options to it.

I have had a bit of progress with this kernel. It now mounts the root filing
system. However it stops after the messages
Clock gained .....
nfs root filing system

This might be caused by the Linux nfsd that I use. The netbsd Howto's explain
that netbsd uses default rw blocks of 8096 bytes and that some linux nfs
deamons are not happy with that. The solution would be adding the option
options NFS_BOOT_RWSIZE=1024
to the conf file.
Ben would you be able to build me a new generic kernel with this option?

Even with this limited boot I can tell you that if I put a CD in my CD player
(connected to the Connect32 card) the kernel panics. If interested I send
you the details.

Leo

--
Leo Smiers