Subject: Re: How to boot RISC PC without harddisc?
To: None <bjh21@netbsd.org, port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Leo Smiers <l.smiers@chello.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/06/2001 18:37:02
In message <E15IURF-0006Iy-00@chiark.greenend.org.uk> you wrote:

> In article <c99d70954a.Leo@lsmiers.chello.nl> you write:
> >What I do is starting the !BtNetBSD application with the foolowing settings
> >in fatsboot:
> [snip]
> >I have commented out the mountufs line and removed the root=/hd... from the
> >Run line. If I now boot a kernel (latests RISCPC 1.5.1 beta from the netbsd
> >ftp site) I got a message abput a wrong MAGIC NUMBER. After that the machine
> >halts.
>
> This is normal.  The code to support the new bootloader only exists in
> NetBSD-current.  If you want to boot NetBSD 1.5.1, you'll need to use
> BtRiscBSD instead.

Yes you are right. Using the old loader does start the kernel. Now comes the
next problem. The standard kernels (including generic) don't allow you to
boot over NFS. Who is willing to build me a RISCPC kernel with the option

options 	NFS_BOOT_DHCP	# use NetBSD standard DHCP/NFS boot code

added. I hope that this allows me to do a net mount of the root filing
systems, etc. This option is the same as for the Shark kernel.

Please contact me before you build the kernel as I would be silly to send
me hunderd's of kernels. I don't care about the source version both 1.5.1
and current are fine with me. Once I am up and running again I should be
able to build my own kernels anyway.

Should the option NFS_BOOT_DHCP be added to the Generic kernel?

Leo

--
Leo Smiers
!PDF 0.73a, !Flash 0.410.1.1