Subject: How to boot RISC PC without harddisc?
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Leo Smiers <l.smiers@chello.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/05/2001 20:47:35
Hi

For the time being I want to boot a kernel from my RISC PC without having a
a netbsd formatted drive eg I want to NFS boot.
What I do is starting the !BtNetBSD application with the foolowing settings
in fatsboot:
| $NetBSD: fastboot,v 1.1 2001/02/19 14:09:03 reinoud Exp $
|
| Fast boot configuration file, edit by hand, save and run !BtNetBSD
| Part of !BtNetBSD
|

| First mount the root partition wd0a in this case for the kernel
|Run <BtNetBSD$Dir>.native.mountufs ADFS 5

| Run The PreBoot file for various extra settings nessisary
Run <BtNetBSD$Dir>.PreBoot

| Select the screenmode from the allready loaded modedef file
|*WimpMode X1024 Y768 C32K
*WimpMode X1280 Y1024 C256

| Start the bootloader with this size WimpSlot
| Additional parameters need to be appended to the bootline
*Wimpslot 3000k
Run <BtNetBSD$Dir>.BtNetBSD <BtNetBSD$Dir>.^.kernels.netbsd maxproc=64 nofpa

I have commented out the mountufs line and removed the root=/hd... from the
Run line. If I now boot a kernel (latests RISCPC 1.5.1 beta from the netbsd
ftp site) I got a message abput a wrong MAGIC NUMBER. After that the machine
halts.

Once I can bot again I will setup a filing system on my fileserver and will
test some Connect32 code again.

Thanks

Leo

--