Subject: FW: CATS questions
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Alstrup, Kurt <kurt.alstrup@intel.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/07/2001 10:39:35
 I'm not sure a CATS based system is the right choice for the tasks you
mention. The Cats are really nice systems for ARM development purposes =
and
run NetBSD smoothly (I'm running 1.5T on them), but their processing =
power
is limited to the 233MHz SA-110. You can propably find medium powered
(400-700 MHz) pentium-like boards for less than the cost of a CATS =
board.

 Furthermore there are not that many Video-cards supported by the x86 =
BIOS
emulation of the Cats firmware(still in development according to my
documentation), so unless you can get one of the following cards to =
work in
the required resolution you might get difficulties here too. The latest =
list
of cards known to work I've seen is=20

Diamond stealth 3D 2000 Pro
Daytona Generic 4Mb
Ati Charger
STB Velocity 128
Cirrus Logic Generic 2 Mb

 Other cards might work for you, but no guarantee.

I think you can use PC100 memory in it, but I have not tried so myself.

 The original documents phrase it as "Two standard 168 pin 3.3V =
unbuffered
SDRAM sockets are provided to take up to 256 MB of RAM" and later "we =
would
recommend that only branded single array PC-66 and PC-100 type modules =
using
64Mbit SDRAM devices used". Their list of 64 MB memory modules that are
known to work are Samsung KMM366S823ATL-G0 and Fujitsu =
PDC8UV8484B-103TS.=20

 If you have a FAX number I can send you their hardware description =
(hope
I'm not infringing any copyrights here ;-).

Kurt Alstrup