Subject: Re: Porting NetBSD to the Intrinsyc CerfCube (?)
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Robert Swindells <swindellsr@genrad.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/04/2001 18:25:33
Jason Thorpe wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 05:39:26PM +0100, Robert Swindells wrote:

 > >Uh, it does use bus_space.
 >
 > Not for DMA. It calls straight into some isa_* functions.

>bus_space has nothing to do with DMA :-)

Ok.

>AFAIK, the cs8900 is an ISA chip, and it can't do DMA without an ISA
>DMA controller.

It is also designed to be easy to interface to other CPUs. Either using
a memory page mode, or simple I/O operations.

Embedded applications don't use the DMA features.

>The reason the cs8900 driver uses the isa_dma* functions is because that
>is the API for programming the ISA DMA controller.  The isa_dma* functions
>themselves use bus_dma.

Ok, what is the best way to conditionally compile out the DMA features ?

>So, the CerfCube has the cs8900 wired to the SA1110 how?  Is it wired up
>directly to the memory bus, or something?

It just uses I/O mode to access 16 16bit memory locations. They are
decoded at 0x300 after the chip select address.

Robert Swindells