Subject: Re: ARM 7TDMI aborts
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
From: John Fremlin <vii@users.sourceforge.net>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/03/2001 14:04:02
Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On Saturday 02 June 2001 11:27 pm, John Fremlin wrote:
> > Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org> writes:
>
> > I get the copyright printed fine, then (this time 100% reproduceable)
> > I get
> >
> >         panic: uvm_km_suballoc: unable to allocate space in parent map
>
> If you're jumping into main yep, it will blow up, pmap requires some
> things to be setup before attempting anything vaguely normal ;-)

I jump in directly from the end of initarm instead of from
locore.S. That's first on my TODO list to fix.

pmap_bootstrap goes through ok and if I turn on pmap_debug_level I get
slightly more messages than slashdot before it finally blows up.

> > which I don't understand at all. It shouldn't be running out of
> > memory and other pmap things have worked.
>
> You are probably causing a fault to happen, what's the trace for it?

(The ARM 7TDMI abort fixups are not ready for prime time.)

No trace is shown: quite literally it just prints the copyright then
the panic. With pmap debug on it says shows a completed pmap_enter
just before the panic, IIRC.

Uploading kernels to the psion is quite annoying enough already
without bloating them with debug info (I have to use a serial
link). Unless someone gives me a clue or two I guess I'll take a leaf
out of the linux book and ferret along down the stack looking for
numbers that point into kernel text :-)

[...]

--

	http://ape.n3.net