Subject: Re: newbie needs help
To: Jan-Uwe.Finck@bigfoot.de, Jan-Uwe Finck <ju.finck@nord-com.net>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/31/2001 09:32:43
On Thursday 31 May 2001  7:03 am, Jan-Uwe Finck wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 11:42:27PM +0100, Chris Gilbert wrote:
> > Well I beleive that our scsi support has improved in recent years, so you
> > should find performance ok on the cumana.  In fact if you want to help
> > improve the driver (possibly not for the faint hearted)  cumana has said
> > they'd be willing to release the tech docs (or that's what they said at
> > epsom last year)
>
> Really ? Last time I tried neither CumanaII nor Connect32 worked.
> I can even crash my machine anytime I try to use the Connect32, and if
> I remember that correctly, the same with Cumana (I now use the
> Connect32).
>
> So I'm not sure whether this is really improved.. at least not for this
> controllers.
>
> Any other comments about this ?

I'll try to make contact with cumana and see if they're still willing to give
out technical info.  I believe that part of the issue is we use the cards in
polled mode, something with the MI SCSI stuff isn't very good at.  Someone
was working on improving the IOMD's bus_space/bus_dma stuff, which would help.

Have you tried the latest snapshot (although it might be better if you could
try the latest current, the SCSIPI stuff has just been reworked, if you need
a kernel to be built let me know and I'll build one.)

Cheers,
Chris